Adventureland Park (often referred to as Adventureland or Adventureland Resort) is a theme park in Altoona, Iowa (just northeast of Des Moines). It features over 100 rides, shows and attractions.
Adventureland Park contains many design nods inspired by Disneyland: The entrance has a train station with tunnels leading into the Main Street area, just like at Disneyland or Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom; over in Outlaw Gulch, there are several tombstones that have virtually the same wording as tombstones outside of Walt Disney World’s Haunted Mansion attraction; the rocking pirate ship (Galleon) has played a soundtrack that included splashing water and an excerpt from the Pirates of the Caribbean theme song, “Yo Ho”. Adventureland is a theme area of its own at Disneyland. The different themed areas in Adventureland are:
- Adventure Bay is a park location behind Outlaw Gulch that is home to the Kokomo Kove water play area.
- Alpine Village/Bavaria is a German-themed area. Sky Ride is the major attraction in this area of the park, along with the Rathskeller concession stand, Alpine Arcade and Bier Garten.
- Bernie’s Barnyard is a children’s area. The Area has a playground structure, a toddler play area, Kiddie Arcade Games, gift shop, seating and shaded areas, statue of the park’s mascot Bernie Bernard, food stand and two kid’s rides: a Crazy Couch from Skyline Attractions called Shakin’ Bacon and a Pony Trek from Metallbau EmmeIn called Junior Jockeys.
- The Boulevard has several major rides including the Giant Sky Wheel, the largest open-gondola Ferris wheel built in the United States since G.W. Ferris built his wheel in 1893 for the Chicago Exposition.
- County Fair is a rural-themed area whose principal attraction is Tornado, a large wooden roller coaster, as well as many fair-themed games of skill.
- Dragon Island, is an area near the rear of Adventureland Park and includes the Dragon roller coaster.
- Iowa Farm follows a similar theme. The big pig in the Iowa Farm section of the park is actually a small concession stand.
- Last Frontier is a western themed section. This section of Adventureland Park is home to the Golden Nugget shooting gallery and Sheriff Sam’s Saloon.
- Main Street which resembles a stereotypical turn-of-the-20th-century town square, is the first area that visitors encounter upon entering the park. The principal attractions of this area are the A-Train (a small-scale locomotive which winds around one side of the park) and an antique-style carousel in the middle of the Town Square. Main Street also contains several gift shops, restaurants, an arcade and service-type establishments such as novelty photography.
- Outlaw Gulch has an Old West theme, complete with a “ghost town”. The attractions in this part of the park are The Outlaw (a small CCI wooden roller coaster), Chuck Wagon (a small western-themed Ferris wheel), Sidewinder (a swinging pendulum ride whose gondola swings riders over 180 degrees while spinning) and Saw Mill Splash, a water ride. Food vendors in the section include a kettle corn stand, old fashioned sodas and Dippin’ Dots.
- River City is built around the Raging River ride and was inspired by Mississippi River towns. There is usually jazz or zydeco music in the background. Several food stands are located in this section of the park as well.
- Space Shot Midway is built around the Space Shot ride. Another attraction is The Underground, a ride that incorporates elements of both a dark ride and a roller coaster. The Frantic Freeway bumper cars and numerous kids’ rides are also nearby.
The park also features special events and shows located throughout the property.