The Iowa Department of Transportation reports that as I-80/I-380 construction activities on and around the interchange continue, there are many construction crews, state inspectors, and large slow-moving equipment throughout the project area. Please reduce distractions and slow down when traveling through any work zone.
Activities associated with the I-80/I-380 construction project in 2022 will include work such as:
- Lane shifts on U.S. 218 to accommodate widening, grading, paving, and reconstruction of the U.S. 218 northbound lanes.
- Lane shifts on I-380 to accommodate widening, grading, paving, and reconstruction of the I-380 southbound lanes.
- Lane shifts on I-80 to accommodate widening, grading paving and reconstruction of the I-80 eastbound lanes.
- Construction of the new I-80 bridges over Clear Creek.
- Grading and paving work around the interchange area.
- Construction of new I-380 southbound bridges over U.S. 6, Iowa Interstate Railroad, Clear Creek, I-80, and future ramps.
- I-380 southbound to I-80 eastbound ramp paving and bridge construction. (New ramp opening Summer 2022.)
- U.S. 218 northbound to I-80 westbound ramp paving and bridge construction
This is a high-level overview of different phases of the I-80/I-380 construction project. This project schedule is subject to change. Real-time I-80 traffic information. Activities listed below are anticipated to begin during the following periods:
SPRING 2022 THROUGH AUGUST 2024
- Temporary median pavement (crossovers) for staging traffic
- New lanes and reconstruction of existing lanes on I-80 and I-380.
- I-380 widening and reconstruction from near U.S. 6 to approximately 1.2 miles north of Forevergreen Road.
- Construction of I-80 bridges over Clear Creek east of I-380 and over future ramp west of I-380; new bridge approaches.
- Grading and paving of various ramps.
- Staged grading and staged bridge construction for six southbound bridges on mainline I-380 and U.S. 218; new bridge approaches.
- Construction of various ramp bridges over I-80; new bridge approaches.
- Final I-80 and I-380 storm sewer, shoulder and median separation barrier work.
- Construction of new Jasper Avenue (a.k.a. Park Road) Bridge over I-80, anticipated to be completed in 2024.
- Final signing, lighting, message boards, pavement painting.
- Final erosion control and seeding.
- New east facing ramps at Ireland interchange.
- New ramp tie-ins and ramp work on the west facing ramps at the Coral Ridge Avenue interchange.