The Illinois Department of Transportation announced today that lanes that have been closed for construction will reopen, where possible, for the Christmas and New Year’s holidays to minimize travel disruption.
Non-emergency closures will be suspended from 3:00 p.m. Friday, December 22, to 11:59 p.m. Monday, December 25, as well as from 3:00 p.m. Friday, December 29, to 11:59 p.m. January 1.
The following lane closures will remain in place during the holiday weekend. Motorists can expect delays and should allow extra time for trips through these areas. Drivers are urged to pay close attention to changed conditions and signs in the work zones, obey the posted speed limits, refrain from using mobile devices and stay alert for workers and equipment. At all times, please buckle and drive sober.
- I-80 at Wheeler Avenue; all shoulders closed.
- I-80 at Briggs Street in Joliet; all shoulders closed.
- Westbound I-80 between River Road in Shorewood and Ridge Road in Minooka; all shoulders closed.
- Westbound I-80 at Richards Street in Joliet; all ramps closed; detour posted.
- I-80 about three miles east of Mineral; lane reductions continue.