The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) has updated the vehicle restriction on Interstate 80 to Tier 1 of the commonwealth’s weather event vehicle restriction plan. A speed restriction of 45 mph is also in place.
Restrictions are in effect on I-80 from the Interstate 79 interchange in Mercer County to Exit 260B (Interstate 81 north, Wilkes-Barre) in Luzerne County.
Under Tier 1 restrictions, the following vehicles are not permitted on affected roadways:
- Tractors without trailers;
- Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded enclosed trailers, open trailers or tank trailers;
- Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded tandem trailers;
- Enclosed unloaded or lightly loaded cargo delivery trucks/box trucks that meet the definition of a CMV;
- Passenger vehicles (cars, SUV’s, pickup trucks, etc.) towing trailers;
- Recreational vehicles/motorhomes;
- School buses, commercial buses and motor coaches; and
Drivers are reminded to continue to use caution while traveling during winter weather conditions and to avoid unnecessary travel whenever possible.
Although PennDOT crews are treating roadways, the department’s primary goal is to keep roads passable, not completely free of ice and snow. PennDOT will continue to treat roadways throughout the storm until precipitation stops and roads are clear.