The Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) recommends drivers plan ahead for travel delays along the Wasatch Front this Friday and Monday due to heavy traffic for the Memorial Day weekend.
Traffic engineers expect the following delays beyond typical travel times on Wasatch Front highways:
- Southbound I-15 in Salt Lake County: up to 20-minute delays on Friday, May 26, from 2-7 p.m.
- Southbound I-15 near Nephi: up to 10-minute delays on Friday, May 26, from 2-6 p.m.
- Northbound I-15 in Davis County: up to 10-minute delays on Friday, May 26, from 2-7 p.m.
- Northbound I-15 near Nephi: up to 15-minute delays on Monday, May 29, from 3-5 p.m.
- Westbound US-6 in Spanish Fork Canyon: up to 20-minute delays on Monday, May 29, from 12-4 p.m.
Across the state, most UDOT projects will suspend construction and open all lanes to traffic to help reduce delays during Memorial Day weekend (Friday through Monday). In some work zones, these restrictions will continue through the weekend where needed to ensure safety or accommodate ongoing construction.
The following list includes projects where drivers should plan for construction conditions including traffic restrictions, reduced speeds, uneven pavement, and narrow or shifting lanes:
- US-40 north of Heber City – Eastbound US-40 is reduced to one lane north of Heber City near Jordanelle Reservoir. Drivers should expect heavy truck traffic and travel delays, especially Friday afternoon. Crews are replacing the driving surface of the bridge over the Provo River. This work is scheduled for completion in late summer.
- I-15 in Davis County – Lanes are shifted on both directions of I-15 between Exit 319 in Centerville and Exit 322 in Farmington for bridge and sign construction as part of the West Davis Highway project. The highway is scheduled to open in summer 2024.
- I-80 and I-215 in eastern Salt Lake County – Lanes are shifted on I-80 between 1300 East and 2300 East, and lanes are split on I-215 between 3300 South and 4500 South. Crews are reconstructing these sections of I-80 and I-215 by removing existing pavement and replacing it with new concrete. This project is also replacing or widening bridges at 1300 East, 1700 East, 2000 East and 2300 East, and is adding a new eastbound lane on I-80. All lanes are scheduled to be open by late 2023.
- I-15 in Nephi: All lanes on both directions of I-15 will be open for the Memorial Day weekend. Beginning as early as Tuesday, May 30, I-15 will be reduced to one lane in each direction between Exit 228 and approximately Exit 222. Crews are repairing concrete pavement and completing maintenance work on several bridges on I-15 in this area. Work is scheduled to continue through the end of the year.
- I-70 near the Colorado border – An eight-mile section of I-70 is reduced to one westbound lane between Cisco and the Colorado border. Crews are repaving sections of the interstate through the end of June.
Construction schedules are weather-dependent and subject to change.
For Real-Time I-80 Traffic and Construction information, visit I-80 Traffic.