If you’ll be driving on I-80 near the interchange that connects Interstates 35, 80, and 235 on the east side of the Des Moines metro this week, you’ll need to be aware of some overnight road closures that might impact your travel.
The Iowa Department of Transportation (IDOT) contractor will need to close the following roads and ramps for nighttime work to place bridge beams on the new bridge at the interchange. All closures will depend on the weather and may change. Marked detours will be in place.
- Thursday, December 7, and Sunday, December 10 from 10:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.
- The eastbound I-80 to northbound I-35 ramp will be closed
- Monday, December 11 from 10:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m., the following will be closed
- Westbound I-80
- Ramp from westbound I-80 to westbound I-234
- Loop from eastbound I-235 to westbound I-80
- Ramp from eastbound I-80 to northbound I-35
The Iowa DOT reminds motorists to drive with caution, obey the posted speed limit and other signs in the work area, and be aware that traffic fines for moving violations are at least double in work zones. As in all work zones, drivers should stay alert, allow ample space between vehicles, and wear seat belts.