The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is scheduled to close eastbound and westbound I-80 on four different summer weekends between mid-July 2023 and early September 2023. During the 56-hour weekend and 104-hour holiday full highway closures, Caltrans will perform major pavement repair work on eastbound and westbound I-80 in Contra Costa County. One traffic direction on I-80 will be worked on at a time. Detours will be in effect. All work is weather and conditions dependent.
Weekends of July 21, August 4 and August 18, 2023
Three weekend closures on eastbound I-80 are scheduled on the weekends of July 21, August 4 and August 18. Eastbound I-80 will be closed and traffic detoured beginning at the eastbound I-80/SR-4 interchange in Hercules. Closures start Fridays after 9:00 p.m. and conclude on the following Mondays at 5:00 a.m.
Eastbound I-80 Closure Detour Directions
- From EB I-80 to SR-4 in Hercules, exit onto eastbound SB-4.
- Then continue on eastbound SR-4 to northbound I-680.
- Then continue on northbound I-680 past Benicia.
- Then re-enter eastbound I-80 in Fairfield.
Eastbound I-80 Additional Detour Options
- I-780 remains open.
- Cummings Skyway remains open.
Labor Day Weekend-August 31 until September 5, 2023
A 104-hour full highway closure of westbound I-80 is tentatively scheduled on Labor Day weekend starting on Thursday, August 31 and concluding on Tuesday, September 5, 2023. Westbound I-80 will be closed and traffic detoured beginning at the westbound I-80/I-780 interchange in Vallejo. Closures will tentatively start Thursday after 9:00 p.m. and conclude on the following Tuesday no later than 5:00 a.m.
Westbound I-80 Closure Detour Directions
- From WB I-80 at I-780 in Vallejo, exit onto eastbound I-780.
- Then continue on eastbound I-780 past Benicia.
- Continue on southbound I-680 towards Concord.
- Exit onto westbound SR-4 towards Richmond/Hercules.
- Re-enter westbound I-80 from westbound SR-4 in Hercules.